It’s been a tricky time for avid gamers with over two years of shortages and sky-high costs. It’s lastly the proper time to construct a gaming PC. When you’ve determined to go together with an AMD Ryzen CPU, you is perhaps confused about which motherboard to pair it with. When you’re searching for the most suitable choice, there are a number of AMD gaming motherboards to select from, relying on which era of Ryzen CPU you select.
Tip: if you don’t have the components but, learn our information on issues to contemplate earlier than constructing your gaming PC.
Greatest General AM4: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WiFi
When you don’t need to compromise on something AM4 has to supply, the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WiFi is a mid-range choice to contemplate. X570 is the extra premium chipset on the AM4 platform, permitting you to run a number of PCIe 4.0 SSDs and overclock and undervolt your Ryzen CPU higher than with the B550 chipset. With the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi, you may wirelessly connect with your house community with out the trouble of routing Ethernet cables. You too can replace the BIOS and not using a CPU put in to allow assist for Ryzen 5000 CPUs. On the $250 mark, this board represents a powerful steadiness between value and options.
- Nice design with black and gray theme
- Two PCIe 4.0 M.2 ports for operating a number of high-speed SSDs
- Built-in I/O defend for a clear exterior look
- Stable VRMs with 12+2 part design for surprisingly steady overclocking
- Preinstalled heatsink on the first M.2 slot
- No USB-C port
- No DisplayPort
- Solely two ARGB headers
Good to Know: not all motherboards will slot in all PC instances, so that you’ll need to rigorously select a PC case earlier than you construct.
Greatest Worth AM4: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
The AM4 platform is about maximizing worth for cash whereas constructing a robust gaming rig. That is the place the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 actually shines. And sure, we’re recommending a Gigabyte motherboard once more, however that’s simply how good this board is. For underneath $200, you get a superb thermal design for the worth, together with onboard Wi-Fi and two M.2 slots. Because it’s a B550 board, solely a type of slots can make the most of PCIe 4.0, however that’s nonetheless greater than sufficient in your day by day gaming and productiveness duties.
- Nice design, much like the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi
- Built-in I/O defend on the again
- 12+2 part VRM answer for respectable overclocking
- Preinstalled heatsinks for every M.2 slot
- Q-Flash Plus on the again for straightforward entry
- 1 DisplayPort (not out there within the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi)
- Bluetooth 5.0 for higher connectivity
- Just one M.2 port helps PCIe 4.0
- Solely two ARGB headers
Greatest Mini-ITX AM4: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
For ITX fanatics searching for a mini-ITX gaming motherboard, the Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming is probably your best option. Priced excellent, this little board packs many helpful and gaming-centric options. It seems to be beautiful with trendy graffiti on the M.2 heatsink, has all of the connectivity choices you would wish, and options sufficient RGB goodness that you could sync with the remainder of your RGB parts. The facility and cooling options on the board are totally geared up to deal with the constraints of a small form-factor PC whereas providing unbelievable gaming efficiency.
- Placing ROG Strix design with delicate RGB
- Onboard Wi-Fi for seamless community connectivity
- Ample connectivity choices for the worth, together with DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.0, USB-C, and eight USB ports on the again
- Two M.2 ports supporting PCIe 4.0
- Preinstalled heatsink for M.2 ports
- DTS Sound Unbound assist for high-fidelity audio
- Excessive-quality capacitors and actively-cooled VRM for cool and steady efficiency
- Solely two DDR4 reminiscence slots
- Just one ARGB header
Additionally Useful: when you construct your gaming PC, it’s possible you’ll have to optimize the OS for gaming.
Greatest General AM5: Asus ROG Strix X670-E Gaming WiFi
Shifting on to the AM5 motherboards, each the characteristic set and asking value have a tendency to extend at a steep price. The Asus ROG Strix X670-E Gaming WiFi is likely one of the finest higher mid-range X670-E (Excessive) boards you may get that pack in all the things you could possibly ask for in a gaming rig. There’s nothing to not love right here: a lovely PCB design with premium construct high quality, a plethora of next-gen connectivity choices, ultra-fast PCIe 5 and DDR5 assist, and a few quality-of-life options you’re positive to like.
- Extremely strong energy supply with 18+2 part VRM answer
- Maxed-out cooling with three preinstalled M.2 heatsinks and an extra heatsink accent
- Lovely design with Asus Aura Sync RGB on the VRM heatsink
- Excessive-speed storage assist with three PCIe 5.0 M.2 slots and one PCIe 4.0 slot
- Superfast DDR5 reminiscence assist with speeds of as much as 6400 MT/s
- Handy options like onboard diagnostic show, BIOS Flashback button, and straightforward launch M.2 and PCIe slots
- Onboard Wi-Fi 6E permits entry to the low-interference 6 GHz band
- May appear needlessly dear if options should not utilized totally
Greatest Worth AM5: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
“Worth” could not cross your thoughts when looking for AM5 boards, however the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi begs to vary. Considered one of Asus’s prime B650 motherboards, the B650E-F Gaming WiFi, gives many of the flagship options within the aforementioned X670-E Gaming WiFi. It options PCIe 5.0 M.2 connectivity, a sturdy energy and thermal design, loads of high-speed USB ports, and onboard WiFi 6E. For underneath $300, you continue to get the signature ROG Strix look and a ton of Asus’s gaming-friendly options.
- Overclocking-ready with 12+2 part VRM answer
- Superior construct high quality for the worth with high-quality capacitors and cooling heatsinks
- Quick storage with One PCIe 5.0 and two PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots
- Preinstalled heatsinks for all three M.2 slots
- Straightforward launch PCIe and M.2 slots and BIOS Flashback button
- DDR5 reminiscence speeds of as much as 6400 MT/s
- Potent RGB with three ARGB headers and one Aura RGB header
- Quick and low-interference Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2
- No USB4 ports
- Fanatics can discover the one PCIe 5.0 M.2 slot limiting
Good to Know: you’ll want a superb cooler in your CPU, no matter which motherboard you select.
Greatest Mini-ITX AM5: Gigabyte B650I Aorus Extremely
For the small kind issue builders on the AM5 aspect, Gigabyte has delivered a stable providing at an inexpensive value within the Gigabyte B650I Aorus Extremely. This mini-ITX board packs as many as three M.2 slots, one in all which helps PCIe 5.0. You don’t have to sacrifice a lot, regardless of the small measurement, as you’re additionally getting beefy heatsinks, all throughout the board coupled with an equally succesful energy answer. Different worthwhile options embrace easy-release PCIe and M.2 slots, high-fidelity audio, and straightforward BIOS flash. Severely, what extra are you able to ask for on this measurement and at this value?
- Superior characteristic set for a mini-ITX board at this value vary
- Eye-catching black and white themed design
- Fast launch and screwless connectors for the GPU and SSDs
- No compromise on connectivity with onboard Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, and loads of USB 3.2 ports
- Totally coated M.2 slots for lively cooling
- One-click BIOS replace with Q-Flash Plus
- No optical audio ports
- Solely two DDR5 reminiscence slots
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Will a greater motherboard improve FPS?
No, the motherboard doesn’t have a direct impact on gaming efficiency. As an alternative, your graphics card and CPU decide the majority of gaming FPS your gaming PC can generate. Positive, an inexpensive motherboard may not be capable of sustain with a beefy GPU’s thermal and energy necessities, which may result in thermal throttling and lowered efficiency. However, merely upgrading to a greater motherboard alone, corresponding to one of many above-mentioned finest AMD motherboards, gained’t drastically enhance gaming FPS. A well-built and geared up motherboard is important for a steady gaming efficiency, however spending on high-end boards doesn’t assure greater FPS. To get essentially the most out of your video games, confer with our information on optimizing video games utilizing benchmarks and in-game settings.
Is AM5 higher than AM4?
AM5 is AMD’s newest platform for his or her Ryzen 7000 CPUs and past. The platform brings a number of next-generation options, like PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, and assist for greater wattage CPUs in comparison with AM4. Therefore, solely going by efficiency, AM5 is best than AM4, however it might be finest to contemplate the price of upgrading to the platform. Some customers could be good with their cash and select to remain on the older AM4 platform as a consequence of significantly cheaper CPUs, motherboards, and reminiscence.
How lengthy will AM5 socket final?
AMD has confirmed assist for the AM5 socket till 2025. That’s prone to lengthen past 2025, contemplating the observe file for the last-gen AM4 platform, which lasted from 2017 to 2022. Launched in 2022, the AM5 platform will doubtless obtain new generations of CPUs properly into 2026 and presumably 2027.
Is it value upgrading to AM5?
It relies upon. For customers constructing a brand new gaming PC, shopping for a brand new platform that’s each future-proof and extra highly effective than the earlier AM4 platform is smart. Additionally, these with older era techniques powered by Ryzen 2000, Ninth-gen Intel collection, or comparable CPUs ought to strongly take into account upgrading to the newest AM5 platform for a giant bounce in efficiency. Nevertheless, you probably have newer chips, just like the Ryzen 4000, Ryzen 5000, or Intel Twelfth-gen CPUs, it isn’t but value it to improve to AM5.
Picture credit score: Unsplash.