Home windows 10 and Home windows 11 have had their share of issues. The working system has had over 1200 safety vulnerabilities simply in 2022. Microsoft shortly strikes in to repair many of those safety holes within the system, so it’s important to remain updated. But, Home windows updates can convey their very own issues as nicely. This tutorial reveals what to do when an replace does extra hurt than good.
Notice: if an issue right here is marked as “FIXED,” it means Microsoft has rolled out an replace that fixes the issue, and the answer is solely to ensure your system is totally up to date. If an issue is just not but “FIXED,” then both learn that entry for workarounds to that particular downside or scroll down the web page for recommendation on easy methods to roll again updates.
January 10, 2023, Home windows 11, Model 22H2 KB5022303
Issues: Provisioning bundle points | Very long time to repeat giant gigabyte recordsdata | Broken registry keys in Begin menu, Home windows search, and UWP apps
The primary main replace for January 2023 is accessible as OS construct 22621.1105. KB5022303 ought to run easily normally, however just a few teething issues have emerged which will make you pause this replace till the problems have been fastened.
To start out with, the provisioning packages that come within the type of .PPKG recordsdata are affected. Microsoft has but to resolve this.
Some IT admins might expertise issues when copying giant recordsdata (by way of a number of gigabytes). To cope with this, Microsoft recommends utilizing a command-line software:
robocopy someserversomeshare c:somefolder somefile.img /J. Nonetheless, the majority of this subject stays unresolved.
Tip: these instruments permit you to open giant recordsdata with out lag in Home windows.
The KB5022303 replace primarily affected the Begin menu, Home windows Search, and Common Home windows Platform (UWP) apps. A few of them might not work correctly as a consequence of broken registry information. That is affecting Microsoft Workplace, Outlook, and Outlook Calendar. To mitigate this subject, Microsoft recommends that you just uninstall any integrations, corresponding to ClickShare.
[Fixed] December 2022 Home windows 11, Model 22H2 KB5020880
Downside: Replace fails to obtain or set up.
The 2022-12 Cumulative Replace for Home windows 11, model 22H2 (KB5020880), was launched on December 13, 2022. Many customers have skilled points as a consequence of set up failures, which implies issues downloading and putting in the updates efficiently. For those who’re unable to see a “Pending Restart” display, the replace is just not working for you.
- To unravel the issue, launch the Home windows Replace Troubleshooter from “System -> Troubleshoot -> Different troubleshooters.”
- As soon as the Troubleshooter runs, it is going to verify for and repair any points that have been stopping set up. These issues are largely right down to the safety settings, lacking or corrupt recordsdata, and issues with Service Registration. Different points are related to Home windows Community Diagnostics, IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates, WaaSMedicService, and BITS service.
- The easiest way to get previous Home windows 11 set up failures is to obtain the Home windows 11 set up assistant. When you run the .EXE file, the brand new replace will simply run in your display.
[Fixed] December 2022 Home windows 11, Model 21H2; KB5019980 and KB5021234
Issues: Activity Supervisor look | Audio points in Xbox | Signal-in failures | Intel drivers compatibility
It’s been reported that Home windows 11’s earliest model 21H2 has just a few minor issues within the collected construct KB5021234.
For instance, the Taskbar might not show within the anticipated colours. This will likely not appear necessary should you’re utilizing Home windows 10, however the perfect factor about Home windows 11 is how fantastically the Taskbar blends together with your wallpaper.
Different points might embody sign-in failures for KB5019980 that may be fastened utilizing a minor patch replace in “Test for Updates.” Some customers have reported audio points within the Xbox app and a safe boot failure when migrating from Home windows 10.
Most of those points have been resolved in KB5020044, so should you’re upgrading to the next model, you’re good to go. In any other case, you have to to roll again your Home windows 11 model to a earlier construct (verify the choice on the backside of the listing) or use the Home windows 11 set up assistant on-line.
Tip: enhance your gaming classes by connecting your Xbox Collection S/X controller to your Home windows PC.
Error Code 0x800f0831
Downside: replace fails to put in.
This is among the extra frequent errors which will happen whenever you attempt to replace Home windows 10 or 11.
Basically, the above error code means your replace has failed, however there are a number of issues you are able to do to troubleshoot this downside:
- If there’s a battle together with your VPN or proxy server and also you’re utilizing a VPN or proxy, ensure it’s fully disabled when attempting to replace Home windows. It’s possible you’ll even have to uninstall and reinstall the software program.
- Scan for corrupt system recordsdata.
- For this and different replace errors, you may strive discovering the replace you’re attempting to put in within the Microsoft Replace Catalog and set up it manually from there.
[Fixed] January 19, 2023 – Points in Home windows 10 Model 22 H2 – KB5019275
Issues: Microsoft Edge legacy eliminated by the KB5019275 replace.
The present version of Home windows 10 has the most recent replace for OS builds 19042.2486, 19044.2486, and 19045.2486. That is the primary main Home windows 10 replace that can take away Web Explorer browser completely. Accordingly, the one downside with this replace is that the legacy Microsoft Edge browser can also be eliminated. It’s used to acquire standalone servicing stack updates (SSU) that have an effect on your cumulative updates.
Nonetheless, Microsoft recommends downloading and putting in the most recent Microsoft Edge browser to obtain SSU updates straight within the new browser. There are different workarounds, however there isn’t any profit in protecting the previous Microsoft Edge browser.
[Fixed] December 2022 – Points in Home windows 10 Model 22H2 – KB5021233
Issues: Signal-in failures | OneDrive issues | Taskbar disappears | Blue display points.
The Home windows 10 model 22H2 is a minor elective replace launched on September 20, 2022, out there by way of the net Replace Assistant. There have been just a few points with this replace, corresponding to sign-in failures associated to Kerberos authentication, the OneDrive app closing instantly, and most worryingly, the desktop and Taskbar disappearing from the display for just a few seconds.
Microsoft has addressed these points in its builds from October 25 – December 13, 2022, corresponding to KB5018482, KB5019959, and KB5020953. The next options are so as:
- Clear restart your Home windows 10 machine.
- Go for Microsoft out-of-band (OOB) updates from November 18, 2022 onward, out there from “Test Your Updates.”
- For those who see a blue display with error 0xc000021a, run the Superior Startup from “System -> Replace & Safety -> Restoration,” and in its Command Immediate below “C:Home windows,” sort
C:windowssystem32hidparse.sys. After the system restore is completed, sort
exitand restart your Home windows 10 machine.
Good to know: right here’s easy methods to arrange OneDrive’s Private Vault in Home windows and hold your delicate recordsdata secure.
[Fixed] Error 0x80070422
Downside: Updates fail to put in correctly.
The 0x80070422 bug is among the oldest replace errors in Home windows, and it may nonetheless have an effect on some Home windows 10 units whereas putting in updates. It’s usually accompanied by different sorts of messages, corresponding to “Home windows replace is disabled.” The present strategy to fixing this downside is to disable IPv6 from Wi-Fi Properties.
- Test whether or not your Home windows replace service is disabled (defined under).
- “Retry” to make sure the replace points aren’t there any longer.
- For those who discover persistent failure because of the error code, go to “Management Panel House -> Community and Web -> Community and Sharing Heart.” Double-click the out there Web connection, which can open a Wi-Fi Standing pop-up window.
- Click on “Properties.”
- Navigate to “Web Protocol Model 6 (TCP/IPv6)” and disable it.
- For those who’re nonetheless having points because of the error code, enter the Command Immediate in Admin mode and the next instructions one after one other.
web cease wuauserv web cease cryptSvc web cease bits web cease msiserver
- Restart your machine, then verify your Wi-Fi connection once more. The problems as a consequence of 0x80070422 needs to be fastened.
Tip: discover ways to use SetupDiag to repair Home windows replace issues.
How you can Repair and Keep away from Damaged Home windows Updates
If the issue you’ve encountered with a brand new Home windows replace is that the set up stops at a sure proportion, or extra typically, that it’s failing to put in the replace, strive putting in the replace from PowerShell.
- Open PowerShell as administrator by typing it into the Begin menu search.
- In PowerShell, sort:
Set up-Module PSWindowsUpdate
- It might ask you to put in and import the NuGet supplier. Press “Y” for Sure and let it set up the bundle.
- It’s possible you’ll get a warning that you’re putting in the modules from an untrusted repository. Sort “A” to permit all of the modifications.
- Test for the most recent Home windows updates by typing the next into PowerShell:
- When you’ve confirmed that there are updates to put in, sort the next command. It’s possible you’ll be additional requested if you wish to carry out this motion, to which you could sort “A” to finalize.
- Anticipate the damaged Home windows updates to heal themselves. They may robotically execute within the PowerShell window.
Set up Elective Updates
For those who entry the Home windows replace display by going to “Settings -> Home windows Replace -> Superior Choices -> Extra Choices,” one can find the “Elective Updates” menu. These updates are designed particularly to handle function, high quality, and driver points for latest Home windows updates. They change into “correct” updates just a few weeks later as soon as they’ve been completely examined.
These updates are nonetheless fairly steady, although, and could also be price a shot if a latest replace has damaged one thing in Home windows.
Uninstall Home windows Updates
You possibly can uninstall smaller Home windows updates (to roll again builds, see the following part) by doing the next:
- In Home windows 10, go to “Management Panel -> Applications -> Applications and Options -> Put in updates.”
- Scroll down in the primary pane to the “Microsoft Home windows” heading, and also you’ll see all of the KB and safety updates for Home windows 10 together with the dates they have been put in. Proper-click the one you need to uninstall and reboot your PC.
- Home windows 11 additionally has the choice to uninstall latest updates. Go to “Settings -> Home windows Replace -> Uninstall updates” and click on the “Uninstall” button subsequent to the replace you need to remove.
Good to know: you may strive Home windows 11 with out fully wiping out Home windows 10 by following this information.
How you can Roll Again Home windows Builds
After each main replace, Home windows provides you a 10-day window to roll again to a earlier model. It’s a helpful function and may offer you sufficient time to evaluate whether or not you’ve got a problematic replace. In fact, this received’t get well your recordsdata if Home windows deletes them, however at the very least you’ll be on a extra steady model of the OS.
- Go to “Settings -> Replace & safety -> Restoration” in Home windows 10 or “Settings -> System -> Restoration” in Home windows 11.
- Under “Reset this PC,” you need to see the choice to “Return to the earlier model of Home windows.”
- Click on “Get began,” then observe the steps to roll again Home windows. Once more, this selection is barely out there for 10 days after a Home windows construct replace.
Tip: discover ways to verify which Home windows model you’re operating in your PC.
Test Your Home windows Construct
Earlier than wanting into rolling again and fixing damaged Home windows updates, you’ll want to verify which construct of Home windows you’re at present utilizing to verify which points are affecting you.
- Go to “Settings -> Home windows Replace -> Replace historical past” (in Home windows 11) or “Settings -> Replace & Safety -> Home windows Replace -> View Replace historical past” (in Home windows 10).
- Within the new window, click on the arrow subsequent to “Function Updates” to see the model of Home windows you’re at present utilizing, and click on “High quality Updates” to see all of the smaller “KB” updates you’ve got put in.
- Additionally, you will discover “Definition Updates,” that are safety intelligence updates associated to Microsoft Defender.
- On the backside of the listing, it’s possible you’ll discover “different updates” regarding packages such because the Home windows Malicious Software program Elimination software, Intelligence updates, and safety patches.
Pause Home windows Updates
The very first thing you are able to do to keep away from getting the above replace issues and extra is to take over management when Home windows updates. This manner, you may maintain off getting updates the second Microsoft rolls them out, monitor the information for a bit to see if any main errors crop up, then manually do the replace your self.
In Home windows 11, go to the “Home windows Replace” display from Settings. Underneath “Extra choices,” choose “Pause updates” and select the variety of weeks you want to defer updates sooner or later (from the default of 1 week to as much as 5 weeks).
In Home windows 10 House, Professional, Enterprise, Schooling, or S, you may postpone updates by checking the identical choice out there below “Settings -> Replace & Safety -> Home windows Replace.” In some Home windows 10 variations, it could be known as “defer” as an alternative of “pause” and out there below a special heading.
Tip: right here’s how one can make your Home windows 11 PC look extra like Home windows 10.
Fully Block Home windows Updates
If you wish to block Home windows updates fully for an indefinite time, disable the primary Home windows Replace service by Registry Editor.
- Click on Begin, sort
regedit, and open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the next path and right-click “Begin” to Modify it.
- Edit and alter the Begin “Worth information” to “4.”
- Reboot your PC, then go to the “Providers” window by way of Win + R and sort
- You possibly can disable the Home windows Replace service in the identical window. Proper-click “Home windows Replace -> Properties,” then in “Startup sort,” choose “Disabled.” Home windows Replace ought to stay disabled till you re-enable it.
Few issues on PC are extra irritating than an replace – ostensibly to enhance efficiency – borking your system, however sadly, Microsoft has kind on this respect. Different teething points with Home windows 10 and Home windows 11 embody the Begin menu search not working, Microsoft Retailer not working, and a malfunctioning microphone. We can assist you with these, too!
Picture credit score: Pixabay. All screenshots by S’ayak Boral.