Backing up your important recordsdata and folders is essential if you wish to hold them protected, however it may be a perplexing state of affairs if it occurs with out your data. This will likely appear unusual, however relying in your Home windows settings, Microsoft’s OneDrive may very well be doing that robotically. As well as, you could discover that your desktop’s location has modified from the same old location in your main laborious drive to a devoted folder in OneDrive. Comply with the straightforward steps outlined on this tutorial to forestall Home windows from auto saving recordsdata and folders to OneDrive.
Tip: experiencing OneDrive syncing points? Comply with this information to troubleshoot the syncing.
Why OneDrive Is Auto Saving Your Information and Folders
OneDrive is preinstalled on Home windows 10 and 11, however there’s a vital distinction in how the 2 system variations work. Home windows 10 provides you entry to OneDrive however doesn’t drive you to arrange and configure your cloud-based storage.
Home windows 11, then again, (vaguely) integrates OneDrive into the preliminary startup of the working system. It’s a part of Microsoft’s mission to maintain your recordsdata protected, nevertheless it doesn’t inform you that it does so robotically and strikes your desktop’s recordsdata to OneDrive. Auto-saving is an easy tick-box within the settings, however it could trigger numerous frustration.
1. Cease OneDrive Computerized Backups
It’s somewhat jarring while you search for a selected file within the location the place you realize it must be, solely to discover a shortcut to OneDrive. For instance, while you specify the place downloads ought to go in your browser, Home windows informs you that “desktop” isn’t a sound path. The best option to cease OneDrive from syncing your recordsdata and folders is by disabling the automated backups within the apps.
- Click on on the OneDrive app within the system tray.
- Within the top-right nook, click on on the gear icon and choose “Settings.”
- Click on on the “Backup” tab.
- Within the “Import PC Folders” part, click on “Handle backup.”
- This opens one other window the place you select which recordsdata and folders are robotically backed up. Click on “Cease backup” on any folder you not need to save within the cloud.
- There can be a warning earlier than you proceed, telling you new recordsdata and folders will solely be accessible on that pc and never accessible from different units. To proceed, click on on “Cease backup.”
- If you happen to cease backing up a folder beforehand saved within the cloud and need these recordsdata again in your gadget, you should transfer them manually from the OneDrive folder again to a folder in your pc.
- Moreover, you must also be certain that the 2 computerized choices below “Images and movies” aren’t checked.
Tip: need to pace up boot time? Strive enabling Quick Startup.
2. Disable Startup Processes
OneDrive solely backs up your recordsdata when it runs within the background. Disabling OneDrive from beginning robotically while you flip in your pc prevents the app from doing so. That is an efficient resolution when you don’t need to take away OneDrive utterly.
- Proper-click on the Begin button and click on on “Settings.”
- Within the left panel, click on “Apps,” then choose “Startup,” the final choice on the fitting panel.
- Search for OneDrive within the listing and toggle the swap to disable it.
- If you happen to don’t see it there, it is best to disable it within the app by clicking on the OneDrive app within the system tray, then clicking on the gear icon to entry Settings.
- Click on on the “Settings” tab on the prime. Beneath “Normal,” untick the “Begin OneDrive robotically once I register to Home windows” field.
3. Cease Workplace Apps from Routinely Saving
Microsoft’s software program suite is a complete ecosystem and integrates all of its apps seamlessly. You possibly can again up your pc’s folders and desktop to OneDrive and your Workplace 365 recordsdata. Whereas that will not all the time be sensible, you’ll need to cease any computerized synchronization.
- Begin any Microsoft Workplace app, comparable to Phrase, PowerPoint, or Excel.
- Within the prime ribbon, click on on “File,” then “Choices.”
- Within the left panel, click on on “Save.”
- Untick the field for “AutoSave recordsdata saved within the Cloud by default in Phrase.” Additional down the web page, tick the field for “Save to Laptop by default.” Beneath that, specify the place your recordsdata must be saved in your pc.
Tip: learn to simply flip electronic mail into duties in Microsoft Outlook.
4. Take away OneDrive from Your Laptop
Essentially the most drastic resolution is to utterly take away OneDrive out of your pc. The method is just like uninstalling different software program.
- Proper-click on the Begin button and click on on “Settings.”
- Within the left panel, click on “Apps,” then “Put in Apps.”
- Scroll down till you see Microsoft OneDrive, click on on the three dots, then press “Uninstall.”
- Click on on “Uninstall” once more to take away the app out of your pc.
Good to know: learn to create a brand new staff utilizing Microsoft Groups.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Is OneDrive crucial for operating Home windows 11 correctly?
Although OneDrive is preinstalled with Home windows 11, the working system doesn’t want it to run easily. You possibly can safely take away or disable OneDrive, particularly when you already use one other cloud-based storage choice, comparable to Google Drive.
Do you want a subscription to make use of OneDrive?
You don’t want a OneDrive or Workplace 365 subscription, because the free choice provides you 5GB of storage. You’ll solely must pay for a month-to-month subscription to improve your storage capability. Observe that you could additionally use different Workplace apps without spending a dime.
Are recordsdata and folders in OneDrive non-public?
Sure, as recordsdata are solely seen to others when you share them. No one else, not even Microsoft, has entry to your delicate info. You even have the choice of including a Private Vault to OneDrive.
Is there a file measurement restrict in OneDrive?
You possibly can add single recordsdata or folders as much as 250GB one after the other. You probably have a piece or college account, the utmost file measurement is 15GB. Nonetheless, that is additionally restricted by your accessible storage capability.
Picture credit score: Logos World. All screenshots and alterations by Charlie Fripp.