Microsoft has been systematically working to enhance its Edge browser by including new options and updates regularly, positioning it as a compelling different to Google Chrome. But, typically points nonetheless come up attributable to varied bugs within the Chromium code. This tutorial shares the best troubleshooting suggestions it’s worthwhile to observe if Microsoft Edge will not be responding.
Good to know: take a look at our listing of keyboard shortcuts to rapidly entry essentially the most helpful Microsoft Edge options.
Earlier than diving into particular options, attempt these basic troubleshooting suggestions in the event you’re experiencing points like Microsoft Edge not responding or crashes.
- Clear cache and shopping information: most browsers robotically save momentary Web recordsdata to assist pages load sooner. If Microsoft Edge opens however doesn’t load the web page, clearing this cache will assist resolve the problem.
- Replace Edge to the most recent model: you need to at all times make sure that the Edge browser is up to date to the most recent model to keep away from many frequent issues with Microsoft Edge.
- Scan your PC for malware: in the event you suspect that your PC is contaminated with a virus, inflicting Edge to not reply, scan your pc for malware utilizing Microsoft Defender (a part of Home windows Safety). Carry out all forms of scans utilizing Microsoft Defender from the Command Immediate.
- Restart your pc: in the event you encounter any unknown difficulty in your Home windows pc, attempt restarting the PC. In lots of instances, that’s all it takes to resolve a easy bug.
FYI: wish to take away the Bing Chat button from Edge? We are able to present you the way.
1. Shut and Reopen Microsoft Edge
If Microsoft Edge will not be responding, attempt correctly closing it down through the Process Supervisor, then restart the browser. Generally, it will repair the issue.
- Press Ctrl + Shift+ Esc to launch the Process Supervisor.
- Click on “Processes” within the left pane. Choose Microsoft Edge on the proper underneath “Apps,” then click on “Finish process” beneath the search bar to shut the Edge browser.
- Reopen the Edge app from both the taskbar or the desktop shortcut, and examine whether or not the problem has been resolved.
Tip: discover ways to repair the “Process Supervisor has been disabled by administrator” error.
2. Restore Microsoft Edge
If the Edge browser opens however stops functioning, try to restore it. Earlier than beginning, be sure you’ve closed the Microsoft Edge browser and logged in with administrative privileges.
- Click on the Begin menu, and launch the Settings app.
- Click on “Apps,” within the left pane, then click on “Put in Apps” on the proper.
- Scroll down till you discover Microsoft Edge within the listing of apps. Click on the three-dot icon subsequent to it, and choose “Modify” from the menu choices. For those who see a immediate asking, “Do you wish to permit this app to make modifications to your gadget?” press “Sure.”
- Click on “Restore.”
- You will notice the progress of the restore.
- After a number of seconds, the Microsoft Edge browser will relaunch robotically to point that the restore has been accomplished. Do keep in mind that the browser information and settings should not affected by the restore process.
3. Disable/Uninstall Extensions
In case your Edge browser will not be responding correctly, it might be as a result of an extension will not be working appropriately. To troubleshoot this, observe the steps beneath to deactivate your put in extensions to see whether or not the issue has been resolved.
- Launch the Edge browser, and click on the puzzle piece-shaped icon subsequent to the tackle bar. Within the drop-down menu, click on “Handle extensions.”
- Within the “Put in extensions” part, toggle the checkbox to the left of all extensions to disable them.
- If the problem has been resolved, you may allow every extension one after the other to determine which one is inflicting the problem. Upon getting recognized the problematic extension, uninstall it by clicking “Take away.”
Tip: end up lacking Web Explorer? Learn to deliver IE again to Home windows 11.
4. Shut Different Tabs and Apps
Microsoft Edge might fail to reply when you have too many tabs or different applications open in your Home windows pc. When you have too many open, attempt closing all tabs and home windows in your browser – besides the one displaying the error message.
Moreover, shut down some other functions at the moment working in your Home windows pc, together with background apps and processes. In case you are downloading a file, pausing till the problem has been resolved is best. Afterward, examine to see whether or not you may entry the tab that was not responding in Microsoft Edge.
5. Test Whether or not Antivirus Software program Has Been Up to date
Are you utilizing third-party antivirus software program, like Norton, McAfee or Kaspersky? If that’s the case, you need to examine whether or not the virus safety has expired or the software program has change into outdated. Out of date or expired software program might intrude with the functioning of Microsoft Edge.
Upon getting recognized the problem, you may renew your virus safety plan or obtain the most recent safety replace from the software program firm’s web site.
6. Free Up Storage House on Your PC
Your whole apps are most likely put in on the C: drive of your pc. For those who’re experiencing frequent Microsoft Edge crashes, it’s price checking the cupboard space in your most important drive.
- Press Win + E to launch the File Explorer app, and click on “This PC.”
- Underneath “Units and drives,” search for the (C:) drive. Under the drive identify, you will note the bar that exhibits the free area left.
- Alternatively, right-click the (C:) drive, and choose “Properties” within the context menu.
- Within the new dialog, you may see the values for “Used House” and “Free House” for the C: drive.
If the C: drive is working low, take immediate motion to unencumber some area. For those who’re undecided the right way to get began, discover ways to clear up your C: drive.
FYI: discover ways to block pop-ups on Home windows in Microsoft Edge and different well-liked browsers.
7. Strive One other Browser
Lastly, it might be potential that your wi-fi community is the wrongdoer. To find out whether or not that is the case, attempt accessing the webpage that’s inflicting the Edge not responding difficulty with one other browser, akin to Chrome, Firefox, or Courageous. If the web page nonetheless received’t load, it’s seemingly a difficulty together with your community or the web site itself.
Strive restarting your modem and router to see whether or not this resolves the problematic Edge state of affairs. Nonetheless, if the issue persists, there could also be a difficulty with the web site itself. On this case, there isn’t a lot you are able to do, besides attempt once more in a number of hours or the subsequent day.
Getting Edge Again on Observe
For those who nonetheless can’t get Edge to work correctly, it could be price reinstalling Microsoft Edge instantly from its official web site. As a remaining answer, attempt restoring the Edge browser settings to default. However, in case your browser is working simply superb, discover ways to use break up display screen in Edge for improved multitasking.
Picture credit score: Unsplash. All screenshots by Meenatchi Nagasubramanian.