A dynamic IP deal with is the really helpful configuration for many Home windows PC customers. Nevertheless, a static IP deal with is required when a pc supplies a service for different PCs. This tutorial walks you thru tips on how to shortly set a static IP deal with in your laptop.
Good to know: take a look at tips on how to discover the IP deal with of a community printer.
Why Do You Want a Static IP Deal with
A static IP deal with might be helpful in numerous instances, together with:
- Internet hosting: if you happen to’re internet hosting a web site, having a dynamic IP deal with generally is a problem. It’s finest to have a static IP deal with to keep away from the necessity to manually change the router settings each time the pc will get a brand new IP deal with.
- File server: is your laptop configured as an FTP or an online server? It’s extremely really helpful to make use of a static IP deal with, as your gadget will be simply accessed by others to obtain recordsdata.
- Distant entry: if you happen to plan on accessing your Home windows PC remotely, having a static IP deal with can present sooner and extra dependable entry. In distinction, dynamic IP addresses are continuously altering and might create difficulties connecting with distant gadgets.
1. Set Static IP Deal with Utilizing Settings
You don’t should be a professional consumer to set a static IP deal with, as you are able to do that simply with the Settings app in your Home windows laptop.
- Click on the Begin menu, and launch the Settings app.
- Click on “Community & Web” within the left pane. Click on “Properties” subsequent to your Wi-Fi community on the suitable.
- Scroll down and click on the “Edit” button subsequent to “IP project.”
- Click on the drop-down field within the “Edit community IP settings” dialog, and choose “Handbook.”
- Choose the IPv4 or IPv6 format to set the static IP deal with. On this instance, we’re deciding on IPv4.
- Fill in all of the required particulars, resembling IP deal with, Subnet masks, and Gateway, and click on “Save.”
- When getting into the IP deal with, be sure it’s a non-public IP deal with that can be utilized on residence and different non-public networks. Based on the Web Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), the addresses reserved for personal networks are as follows:
- Class A: 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
- Class B: 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
- Class C: 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
- For any non-public community that should use IP addresses internally, it’s permissible to make use of any deal with inside the specified ranges. These addresses are distinctive solely inside the given non-public community.
- Usually, networks with a big variety of whole hosts make the most of Class A addresses, whereas medium- to large-sized networks go for Class B, and small native space networks use Class C.
- To fill the Subnet Masks and Gateway fields, be sure to are utilizing the identical values which can be at present assigned to your router. To seek out these values, launch the Command Immediate, kind the next command, and press Enter. Additionally, observe the “DNS Servers” deal with, as you’ll want it later.
Tip: learn to handle and management wi-fi networks by way of the Command Immediate.
2. Utilizing Command Immediate
You can even configure the static IP deal with from the Command Immediate if you happen to desire the command line.
- Proper-click on the Begin menu, and click on “Run” from the record of choices.
cmd.exewithin the field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch the Command terminal in admin mode.
- To set a static IP deal with, use the next command and press Enter. Be sure to change “X” with the identify of your community adapter, in addition to [IP address], [Subnet Mask], and [Default Gateway], every together with your particular deal with. The values correspond to Subnet Masks and Default Gateway that you simply recognized utilizing
ipconfigwithin the earlier part.
netsh interface ip set deal with identify= "X" static [IP address] [Subnet Mask] [Default Gateway]
Word: to seek out the identify of the community adapter, navigate to “Management Panel -> Community and Web -> Community and Sharing Heart,” and jot down the identify subsequent to “Connections.”
- To set the DNS server deal with, use the next command and press Enter. Exchange “X” with the identify of your community adapter and [DNS server address] with the DNS server deal with of the community you discovered earlier utilizing
netsh interface ip set dns identify= "X" static [DNS server address]
- You’ll not see a hit message however can run the
ipconfigcommand once more to verify the brand new configuration.
Tip: want the IP deal with of your router? Learn to discover it.
3. Utilizing PowerShell
Alternatively, use the PowerShell instrument to set a static IP deal with on your Home windows PC.
- Press Win + X in your keyboard, and click on Terminal (Admin) within the menu to launch PowerShell.
- To view the small print of your present community configuration, kind the next command and press Enter. From the outcomes displayed, jot down the values for the next fields: InterfaceIndex, IPv4Address, IPv4DefaultGateway, and DNSServer.
- Sort the next command to set a static IP deal with and press Enter. Earlier than executing the command, don’t neglect so as to add the values for InterfaceIndex, IPAddress, and DefaultGateway. As for the PrefixLength, generally, it ought to be set to “24.” The parameter defines the native subnet measurement or subnet masks. For instance, for a subnet masks resembling “255.255.255.0,” the prefix size is 24 bits, whereas a subnet masks of “255.255.0.0” has a prefix size of 16 bits.
New-NetIPAddress -InterfaceIndex [value] -IPAddress [address] -PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway [address]
- To set the DNS server deal with, use the next command and press Enter. Make certain so as to add the values for InterfaceIndex and ServerAddresses (DNSServer).
Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex [value] -ServerAddresses [address]
Tip: unable to launch PowerShell? Attempt these fixes.
Static IP Is Generally Useful
Companies have extra use for static addresses than residence networks. It’s fully secure to make use of a static IP deal with, as errors like “Your IP has been briefly blocked” occur largely with dynamic IP addresses. Plus, it’s not sophisticated to set a static IP deal with if you happen to observe the directions outlined on this tutorial. Take a look at our publish to troubleshoot Wi-Fi-related points if you happen to expertise any issues together with your Web connection.
Picture credit score: Unsplash. All screenshots by Meenatchi Nagasubramanian.